If a family law case involves children, the courts will always do what is in the best interest of the child. But what does that mean, exactly? Obviously, everyone wants to think of the kids first, but what factors are taken into consideration?
The short answer is that it is a pretty hefty list. Whether it is a divorce, child custody battle, or something else, a judge considers a variety of factors to ensure a child not only has a safe environment to live in but is also happy, healthy, and has an opportunity — if appropriate — to have a relationship with both parents.
The Family Law Handbook lists these factors when determining best the interest of a child
Not all of these factors apply to each and every family law case, but they have the potential to in most cases:
- Physical and emotional needs of the child
- If there is any physical and emotional danger
- The stability of the home
- What each party’s plans are for the child
- Cooperation between parents
- What each party’s parenting skills are
- Which party will be the child’s primary caregiver
- The child’s preferences
- Geographic proximity
- If the child has any siblings
- Promoting relationships between the child and the other party
- Any false reports of child abuse
- Any concerns of international child abduction
- If there is a history or pattern of abuse
- Intentional use of abusive physical force
- Family violence
- Each party’s present fitness to care for the child
- If each party is using drugs or alcohol
- Whether either party’s sexual conduct is a problem
When kids are involved, there is spousal support, custody battles, visitation schedules, and co-parenting. You need to work together even when your relationship is over and focus on what makes sense for your kids. If not, a judge will do it for you.
Call Nelson Law Group today!!
If divorce is the answer, you need a trusted advisor to guide you through each stage of your divorce and help you deal with the stress that naturally comes with that. We work diligently to achieve a result that ensures you receive what you are entitled to as you move forward onto the next stage of your life. We are also staunch advocates for children and will help you and the courts determine what is in their best interest. The Nelson Law Group brings nearly two decades of experience in family law to each and every case.
Give our knowledgeable staff here at Nelson Law Group, PC, a call if you have any further questions regarding this or any other issue. Our staff is always available. Give us a call today! For more information about Brett A Nelson, click here.