What is Family Violence?
We hear the term Family Violence all the time, typically within the context of one spouse being abusive toward the other, or a parent committing violent acts against their children. These scary, and at times life-threatening, situations happen more often than you think, and the unsettling details eventually play themselves out in family law cases all over the world.
In today’s article, we will break down the term Family Violence and show that it encompasses so much more than what you hear about on the news. The more we all understand what Family Violence is, and who can be a victim, the easier it will be to recognize and report.
Family Violence – Defined
The legal definition is any abusive, violent, forceful act inflicted by one member of a family on another. Family violence includes, but is not limited to:
- Grabbing, shoving, slapping, stabbing, throwing, choking, and punching
- Breaking bones
- Assault with a weapon
- Sexual Abuse
- Holding, restraining, or confining someone against their will
- Emotional abuse (yelling, screaming, threatening, or intimidating)
And that’s a condensed list. Now, what most people don’t know is that the Violence goes beyond these acts being committed against family members (wife, husband, children, relatives, etc.). Family Violence can include acts against:
* Family member or a household member (example: a roommate)
* Abuse by a family or household member against the child of a family or household member
* A third party in a dating situation
The ramifications of family violence are far-reaching, and for the victims, the emotional and physical ripple effects can be felt years down the road.
Here are a few sobering statistics from the Texas Council on Family Violence.
- 146 women were killed by their intimate male partner in 2016
- 1 in 3 Texans will experience a form of family violence in their lifetime
- In 2016, family violence programs served more than 70,000 Texans
Call Nelson Law Group Today!
It is essential that you have the right attorney in your corner at all times. Nelson Law Group, PC has represented people in all forms of family law cases for over 20 years. We have the knowledge and the experience to help guide you through the complexities that will arise in your case. Give us a call. Our friendly staff is here to help you in any way we can.